Meet Bonnie our Dog Mentor!
At Ombersley, we have another member of staff who is a very important part of our school family!
Bonnie is our Dog Mentor and belongs to the national Dog Mentor Programme.
The Dog Mentor programme has built upon the benefits of the human-animal bond by providing children positive experiences with dogs that can help them:
Over the last five years The Dog Mentor programme has been proven to have a positive impact on children in all areas including :
• higher self-esteem
• greater empathy
• more engagement with peers
• better prosocial behaviour
The positive impacts created by the Dog Mentor programme follow the premise that improving communication within schools will improve behaviour. This, in turn will provide an improved outcome for staff, parents and more importantly pupils.
Some Ground Rules
In order to help Bonnie to do her job properly and to keep everyone in our school safe (including Bonnie herself!), please ensure that you always follow these rules.
- Always ask the handler of you can stroke
- Don’t get too excited – always approach dog calmly
- No loud voices – no shouting the dog’s name
- No screaming with excitement to see dog
- Try not to run
- No eating around dog
- Always wash hands after being with dog
- Always make the handler aware if you are allergic to dogs
- Always let the handler know if you’re worried about meeting dog